Thursday, February 19, 2026
Newswatch
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Sign Up
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Newswatch Cameroon
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Human Rights Watch calls for appropriate punishment of Ngarbuh massacre perpetrators

Ndi Eugene Ndi by Ndi Eugene Ndi
January 21, 2026
in News
0
Human Rights Watch calls for appropriate punishment of Ngarbuh massacre perpetrators

File photo of some of the children killed in Ngarbuh

0
SHARES
107
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
  • Also wants victims’ families adequately compensated as court convicts three government armed forces.

In response to the conviction of three members of the Cameroon security forces and a militiaman for the February 2020 massacre that killed at least 21 civilians, including 13 children and a pregnant woman in Ngarbuh, Ndu Subdivision of the conflict-plagued North West Region, Human Rights Watch has called on Cameroonian authorities to ensure appropriate sentences on the convicts.

The Yaounde Military Court on Thursday, January 15 convicted Sergeant Baba Guida, Gendarme Cyrille Sanding, First Class Soldier Gilbert Haranga and a militiaman, after it ruled they were guilty of murder, destruction, arson, disobeying orders and violence against a pregnant woman during the military operation in Ngarbuh on February 14,2020.

Presiding judge, Justice Yvonne Leopoldine Akoa said the convicts will be  sentenced at another public hearing on Thursday, February 19, 2026.

Ilaria Allegrozzi, senior Sahel researcher at Human Rights Watch described the conviction as “a partial step toward justice” saying the remaining perpetrators also need to be held accountable.

“The sentences imposed next month need to reflect the seriousness of the crimes and the victims’ families should receive compensation” said Allegrozzi

The Ngarbuh massacre – one of many atrocities in Cameroon’s drawn-out armed conflict was one of the worst incidents of abuse by government forces since the crisis the two English speaking Regions of the country erupted in 2016 and morphed into an armed conflict a year later.

More than 6,000 people have been killed and over 700,000 have been forced to flee their homes since the crisis began about a decade ago with both government troops and non-state armed groups accused of committed atrocities.

The government had initially denied reports of the Ngarbuh killings, denouncing them as “terrorist propaganda” about an “unfortunate accident.” But following pressure from victims’ families as well as the national and international community, Yaounde admitted that there had been a massacre and a military cover-up.

An inquiry commission established by President Paul Biya found that the military carried out the killings during a reconnaissance operation in Ngarbuh with some members of “local vigilance groups”, but had tried to suppress the truth by burning homes and filing a false report on the incident.

The Ngarbuh trial, which opened in December 2020 before the Yaounde Military Court, has been a protracted process marred by irregularities that delayed the verdict raising concerns about the authorities’ willingness to fully address abuses committed by security forces.

Last Thursday’s verdict however marked one of the rare instances in which members of the Cameroon Defence and Security forces have been held criminally responsible for abuses committed during the near a decade long armed conflict.

Tags: Human Rights WatchIlaria AllegrozziNgarbuh massacre

Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.

Unsubscribe

Related Posts

Ndu Mayor eulogises “martyrs” killed in Ntumbaw dastardly attack
News

Ndu Mayor eulogises “martyrs” killed in Ntumbaw dastardly attack

February 10, 2026
Industry professionals to share storytelling secrets at Advanced School of Mass Communication conference
News

Industry professionals to share storytelling secrets at Advanced School of Mass Communication conference

January 27, 2026
WICUDA-USA calls for urgent probe into Gidado killings
News

WICUDA-USA calls for urgent probe into Gidado killings

January 20, 2026
Alassane Sakho champions economic integration, strategic partnerships, as Afric Links debuts in Casablanca
News

Alassane Sakho champions economic integration, strategic partnerships, as Afric Links debuts in Casablanca

December 21, 2025
NBA Africa Triple-Double Accelerator powers five game-changing startups, strengthening the continent’s basketball & tech ecosystem
Sports

NBA Africa Triple-Double Accelerator powers five game-changing startups, strengthening the continent’s basketball & tech ecosystem

December 8, 2025
Senegal’s Bambilor municipality engages in twinning partnership with Italy’s Verdelino for development
News

Senegal’s Bambilor municipality engages in twinning partnership with Italy’s Verdelino for development

December 8, 2025
Kribi Port launches second phase of commercial operations

Kribi Port launches second phase of commercial operations

May 14, 2025
Ambassador says Germany closely monitoring Oct. 12 poll in Cameroon

Ambassador says Germany closely monitoring Oct. 12 poll in Cameroon

October 8, 2025
Ilicit ivory

Ambam : Suspected cross border ivory trafficker to appear in court, risks three years jail

November 25, 2020
New SDF Secretary General, Njong Donatus Fonyuy. Photo credit: Moma Sandrine/insight244.com

Taking his first decisions: Osih appoints Biya’s NW,SW Reconstruction’s Njong as SDF Scribe

December 5, 2023
Community-based healthcare is lifeline for people displaced by violence in Cameroon

Community-based healthcare is lifeline for people displaced by violence in Cameroon

February 4, 2021
JNIM offensive: Between economic “jihad” and threats to foreign interests

JNIM offensive: Between economic “jihad” and threats to foreign interests

November 10, 2025
CAMASEJ secures unprecedented FCFA 180M grant to empower journalists

CAMASEJ secures unprecedented FCFA 180M grant to empower journalists

December 8, 2023

Senate president remains ‘missing’ as parliament opens next week

February 29, 2024

56 Cameroonian entrepreneurs amongst recipients of TEF’s $15M funding boost

March 27, 2025

LOYOC rewards innovators of menstrual hygiene kits packaging

May 28, 2025

Douala Port strengthens fleet with two new high-powered tugboats

July 29, 2025

Ndu Mayor eulogises “martyrs” killed in Ntumbaw dastardly attack

February 10, 2026

National museum spoils staff’s kids, others with gifts at Christmas party

December 26, 2024

ICRC provides food supplements to children affected by conflict in Cameroon

November 7, 2024

Tony Elumelu Foundation Opens 2026 Entrepreneurship Programme

January 12, 2026

Front page of NewsWatch newspaper No 181, Tuesday, July 30, 2024.

July 31, 2024
NewsWatch Cameroon

Trustworthy, timely and tenacious: that's our newspaper. For 10 years, we have delivered quality journalism that informs, inspires and challenges our readers. Join us as we continue to make a difference in the world of news.

#NewsWatch@10

  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Sign Up for our News letters

NewsWatch Cameroon Anniversery

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC