Sunday, August 23, 2026
Newswatch
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Sign Up
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Newswatch Cameroon
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Human Rights Watch calls for appropriate punishment of Ngarbuh massacre perpetrators

Ndi Eugene Ndi by Ndi Eugene Ndi
January 21, 2026
in News
0
Human Rights Watch calls for appropriate punishment of Ngarbuh massacre perpetrators

File photo of some of the children killed in Ngarbuh

0
SHARES
114
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
  • Also wants victims’ families adequately compensated as court convicts three government armed forces.

In response to the conviction of three members of the Cameroon security forces and a militiaman for the February 2020 massacre that killed at least 21 civilians, including 13 children and a pregnant woman in Ngarbuh, Ndu Subdivision of the conflict-plagued North West Region, Human Rights Watch has called on Cameroonian authorities to ensure appropriate sentences on the convicts.

The Yaounde Military Court on Thursday, January 15 convicted Sergeant Baba Guida, Gendarme Cyrille Sanding, First Class Soldier Gilbert Haranga and a militiaman, after it ruled they were guilty of murder, destruction, arson, disobeying orders and violence against a pregnant woman during the military operation in Ngarbuh on February 14,2020.

Presiding judge, Justice Yvonne Leopoldine Akoa said the convicts will be  sentenced at another public hearing on Thursday, February 19, 2026.

Ilaria Allegrozzi, senior Sahel researcher at Human Rights Watch described the conviction as “a partial step toward justice” saying the remaining perpetrators also need to be held accountable.

“The sentences imposed next month need to reflect the seriousness of the crimes and the victims’ families should receive compensation” said Allegrozzi

The Ngarbuh massacre – one of many atrocities in Cameroon’s drawn-out armed conflict was one of the worst incidents of abuse by government forces since the crisis the two English speaking Regions of the country erupted in 2016 and morphed into an armed conflict a year later.

More than 6,000 people have been killed and over 700,000 have been forced to flee their homes since the crisis began about a decade ago with both government troops and non-state armed groups accused of committed atrocities.

The government had initially denied reports of the Ngarbuh killings, denouncing them as “terrorist propaganda” about an “unfortunate accident.” But following pressure from victims’ families as well as the national and international community, Yaounde admitted that there had been a massacre and a military cover-up.

An inquiry commission established by President Paul Biya found that the military carried out the killings during a reconnaissance operation in Ngarbuh with some members of “local vigilance groups”, but had tried to suppress the truth by burning homes and filing a false report on the incident.

The Ngarbuh trial, which opened in December 2020 before the Yaounde Military Court, has been a protracted process marred by irregularities that delayed the verdict raising concerns about the authorities’ willingness to fully address abuses committed by security forces.

Last Thursday’s verdict however marked one of the rare instances in which members of the Cameroon Defence and Security forces have been held criminally responsible for abuses committed during the near a decade long armed conflict.

Tags: Human Rights WatchIlaria AllegrozziNgarbuh massacre

Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.

Unsubscribe

Related Posts

Eleven African innovators shortlisted for FEC 2026 Innovation Challenge
News

Eleven African innovators shortlisted for FEC 2026 Innovation Challenge

August 14, 2026
All set for Archbishop of Canterbury, Sarah Mullally’s landmark Cameroon visit
News

All set for Archbishop of Canterbury, Sarah Mullally’s landmark Cameroon visit

July 27, 2026
“I want to bridge the literary gap for the young and People With Disabilities” – Comfort Mussa, author, The Shape of Unbroken Things
News

“I want to bridge the literary gap for the young and People With Disabilities” – Comfort Mussa, author, The Shape of Unbroken Things

July 28, 2026
Cameroon Starlink licensing stalls over security, sovereignty concerns
Economy

Cameroon Starlink licensing stalls over security, sovereignty concerns

July 29, 2026
Commy Mussa gets Ambassador role to champion women’s health in Cameroon
Health

Commy Mussa extends storytelling tentacles to literary world

July 14, 2026
Cameroon moves to operationalise National DDR strategy with new action plan
News

Cameroon moves to operationalise National DDR strategy with new action plan

July 8, 2026
"Solidarity" female football team , kneeling for prayers before confronting "Unity" female soccer team in opening match

Sports jamboree to enhance peace, living together, underway in Douala

July 21, 2022
Some Cameroonians reading newspaper front pages at a kiosk adjacent the Ministry of Finance in Yaounde

Explainer: In Cameroon, journalists can’t breathe as obnoxious laws stifle press freedom

December 23, 2020
Climate change: Africa is on the frontlines, and now also on the front pages

Climate change: Africa is on the frontlines, and now also on the front pages

September 4, 2023
Wildlife crime: 90 suspected traffickers arrested across seven African countries

Wildlife crime: 90 suspected traffickers arrested across seven African countries

March 27, 2025
How the socio political crisis in the two English speaking regions of Cameroon is impacting community water schemes

How the socio political crisis in the two English speaking regions of Cameroon is impacting community water schemes

November 30, 2022
MINFOPRA boss, CAMTEL GM exchanging documents after signing convention

CAMTEL, Public Service ministry reach strategic deal to secure public service data

June 15, 2022
African journalists urged to decolonise climate change reporting

African journalists urged to decolonise climate change reporting

August 29, 2023

Instant payments surge across Africa – New report

March 19, 2026

Cameroonian drama ‘Lights Out’ premieres, sparking conversations about dementia awareness

April 28, 2026

Don’t tamper with the internet during 2025 presidential election – PIN tells government

April 17, 2025

Experts to dissect ways to ramp up Africa vaccine manufacture

September 14, 2023

Finance minister halts disorder in money investment schemes

November 25, 2020

Nkambe University Institute offers scholarships to top students

August 17, 2026

UBa student, Ngwa Norah wins second edition of Sisterspeak’s Digital Literacy Contest

March 21, 2022

‘Access to Love Campaign’ targets Cameroonian students

December 23, 2024

Access Bank partners with IFC, AGF, launches Cameroon’s first-ever Womenpreneur Pitch-A-Ton

November 27, 2025
NewsWatch Cameroon

Trustworthy, timely and tenacious: that's our newspaper. For 10 years, we have delivered quality journalism that informs, inspires and challenges our readers. Join us as we continue to make a difference in the world of news.

#NewsWatch@10

  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Sign Up for our News letters

NewsWatch Cameroon Anniversery

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC