Friday, February 20, 2026
Newswatch
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Sign Up
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Newswatch Cameroon
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Ngannou battles to uphold late son, Kobe’s memory in MMA return

Ndi Eugene Ndi by Ndi Eugene Ndi
October 17, 2024
in Sports
0
Ngannou battles to uphold late son, Kobe’s memory in MMA return

Ngannou says returning to MMA for a purpose, fight to keep his late son’s memory alive

0
SHARES
22
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

What will Francis Ngannou do with a huge chunk of hard-earned wealth from Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) if his son, Kobe, is not there to share? This question apparently ran through the mind of the undisputed heavyweight champion when he lost his 15-months-old son in April.

After 17 MMA victories, Ngannou left the UFC where he was world heavyweight champion. He then decided to cross into professional boxing where he had an impressive debut. He would knock down Tyson Fury, but failed to win the match, losing a narrow split decision on the judges’ scorecards.

Then he got devastated, knocked down three times by Anthony Joshua in his second pro boxing fight in March this year. This was not just a defeat. It was a blowing loss. Ngannou, known as ‘The Predator’ could be seen regaining consciousness after being knocked out cold in the second round of their fight.

But more devastation was just a month away. Ngannou lived the “hardest experience” of his life when he lost his son, Kobe. Stunned and heartbroken by the demise of his son, the former UFC Heavyweight Champion contemplated retirement.

“There was a point in life that I thought I have won everything that I have won in life. No matter how hard it is out there, whatever challenge that I face out there, I look back at my family, basically at my son, and then I tell myself, I have won, I have made it, no matter what’s happening,” Ngannou said.

Ngannou training at his gym in Batie ahead of MMA return

The man who clocked 38 last month has made a name for himself with 12 knockouts in 17 victories in his MMA career. The ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’, as he was called after he brought down Fury in the third round of their heavyweight fight last October before succumbing to a points defeat in Saudi Arabia, has also earned money too. The losses on the boxing ring hurt so much. But nothing compared to losing a son, the one problem he couldn’t knock out.

“I lived the hardest experience in my life which makes everything that I have ever been through meaningless. I felt like I got hit by the same thing I have been avoiding in my entire life. I am tough, yeah, but I felt like I didn’t fight for him, I couldn’t fight for him,” a teary Ngannou recalled the son’s death. 

Fighting for his son

Now, finding the motivation to get inside the squared ring after losing your own flesh and blood is a tough task on its own, but for The Predator, it is a redemption. Retirement is no longer on his agenda and he is making his comeback to MMA this weekend at the ‘Battle of the Giants’. His sole motivation this time is his son, Kobe.

Kobe was one of the fans who watched Joshua floor his father in the second round of the 10-round heavyweight bout at the Kingdom Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia a month earlier. And his father had plans for him.

“They had just finished building a rooftop basketball court for him in Yaounde the night that he died,” Ngannou explained as he broke down. “Though he was just 15-months-old, all my dreams were already on him. I was looking on him to be whatever I am not, thinking about his education, may be invest in a school that he will attend, but I have never ever thought that something will happen to him…He was more than just a kid, he was a multiple project.”

Now the project has crumbled in just an instant leaving Ngannou in a state of fragility.  “Since April, I have been questioning a lot of stuff, even asking myself, should I [continue to] do this, should I just stop, is it worth it…It is the moment in life that you feel you have all but out of a sudden you realize you have nothing,” Ngannou explained.

But Ngannou is not a quitter. He will return to the MMA, a sports he says gives him a different adrenaline, when he faces Brazilian Renan Ferreira in the Battle of the Giants on Saturday October 19. He will be making his debut for the Professional Fighters League (PFL) since joining the promotion last year.

Ngannou says his return to the cage is motivated by a deep, personal purpose: fighting for his son, Kobe. He said he has fought a lot of different purposes in his life and the fight against Ferreira on October 17 “is just another fight but with a different purpose” — fight in memory of his son, Kobe. “I cannot forget the loss of my kid… I am looking forward to use it as a motivation,” Ngannou says, explaining that he does not want his son to have that responsibility of being the one who made him stop.

Tags: Francis NgannouPFLRenan FerreiraUFC

Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.

Unsubscribe

Related Posts

LOYOC takes 5th edition of Na-We-We Sports Jamboree to Tiko
Society

LOYOC takes 5th edition of Na-We-We Sports Jamboree to Tiko

February 9, 2026
Andre Onana’s disturbing goalkeeping stats in Turkiye
Sports

Andre Onana’s disturbing goalkeeping stats in Turkiye

January 26, 2026
Biya should learn from Indomitable Lions in forming new government
Editorial

Biya should learn from Indomitable Lions in forming new government

January 5, 2026
Cameroon’s Styve Ngono wins historic PFL debut
Sports

Cameroon’s Styve Ngono wins historic PFL debut

December 23, 2025
Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire, G. Bissau & S. Africa clinch PFL Africa’s pioneer MMA titles
Sports

Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire, G. Bissau & S. Africa clinch PFL Africa’s pioneer MMA titles

December 21, 2025
Cameroon’s Alain Majorique eyes FCFA 60M-valued MMA title in PFL Africa final
Sports

Cameroonian fighters set to shine at PFL Africa finals in Cotonou

December 18, 2025
Cameroon’s Styve Ngono wins historic PFL debut

Cameroon’s Styve Ngono wins historic PFL debut

December 23, 2025
Biya seeks parliament’s approval to postpone National Assembly elections

Aware of Oct. 12 defeat? How Mbarga Mboa tried to lure Tchiroma’s allies into govt even before results

January 3, 2026
Douala throws weight behind Biya in appreciation of new ID Card center

Douala throws weight behind Biya in appreciation of new ID Card center

March 18, 2025
LOYOC takes 5th edition of Na-We-We Sports Jamboree to Tiko

LOYOC takes 5th edition of Na-We-We Sports Jamboree to Tiko

February 9, 2026
Biya should learn from Indomitable Lions in forming new government

Biya should learn from Indomitable Lions in forming new government

January 5, 2026
North West Region: Bangolan at risk of starvation as separatist lockdowns imperil agric sector

North West Region: Bangolan at risk of starvation as separatist lockdowns imperil agric sector

September 28, 2024
Climate change: Africa is on the frontlines, and now also on the front pages

Climate change: Africa is on the frontlines, and now also on the front pages

September 4, 2023

Douala Port strengthens fleet with two new high-powered tugboats

July 29, 2025

Wood fuel. Coal traders from East express their dismay at road hassles

February 9, 2022

Analysis: As Rwanda marks 30 years since genocide, lessons for Cameroon as same looms in Anglophone regions

April 8, 2024

Anglophone crisis: Queen Mothers want end !

December 25, 2020

Club president interrupts match in protest against penalty

April 7, 2025

“We don’t know what is happening”, YOSA president

June 10, 2025

ICRC’s psychological support soothes hearts in troubled Cameroon’s Far North region

November 7, 2024

NewsWatch newspaper of Monday, December 04 2023

December 10, 2023

Two engineers to appear in court for ivory trafficking

August 21, 2024
NewsWatch Cameroon

Trustworthy, timely and tenacious: that's our newspaper. For 10 years, we have delivered quality journalism that informs, inspires and challenges our readers. Join us as we continue to make a difference in the world of news.

#NewsWatch@10

  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Sign Up for our News letters

NewsWatch Cameroon Anniversery

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC