Sunday, August 23, 2026
Newswatch
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Sign Up
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Newswatch Cameroon
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Martinez Zogo’s murder: Controversy trails ‘release’ of prime suspects

News Watch Cameroon by News Watch Cameroon
December 5, 2023
in News
0
Prime suspects Leopold Maxime Eko EKo and Jean Pierre Amougou Belinga are still in detention. Photo Camerounweb

Prime suspects Leopold Maxime Eko EKo and Jean Pierre Amougou Belinga are still in detention. Photo Camerounweb

0
SHARES
34
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Ndi Eugene Ndi

It was going to be a good Friday for detained Director General of External Research (DGRE) Leopold Maxime Eko Eko and business tycoon Jean Pierre Amougou Belinga, prime suspects in the killing of journalist, Arsene Salomon Mbani Zogo, aka Martinez Zogo.

Freedom was so close yet so far for the prime suspects on this fateful Friday December 1, 2023.

The social media and public space were awash with news of the imminent release of the prime suspects. This follows the release of an order which cleared the prime suspects, Amougou Belinga and Leopold Maxime Eko Eko of any wrongdoing.

The document which carried the stamp and signature of the Examining Magistrate at the Yaounde Military Tribunal, Lieutenant Colonel Florent Aimé Sikati II Kamwo, stated there was insufficient evidence to justify their continued detention.

The order prompted scenes of joy and jubilation among family members and friends who flooded the entrance of the Kondengui Principal Prison late that Friday evening to welcome their loved ones back home.

But while defence lawyers were seeking the release of their clients following the instructions, there was another letter, marked confidential, which circulated on the social media still bearing the stamp and signature of the same military judge.

In the letter addressed to the Military State Prosecutor at the Military Court (the equivalence of State Counsel in a civilian court), Lt Colonel Kamwo said the order granting provisional liberty to the detainees was not authentic and that “a verdict will be made public at the right time”. The military state prosecutor then in another confidential note also leaked on the social media instructed the prison administration not to execute the order from the Examining Magistrate which he said was fake.

Prime suspects Leopold Maxime Eko EKo and Jean Pierre Amougou Belinga are still in detention. Photo Camerounweb
Prime suspects Leopold Maxime Eko EKo and Jean Pierre Amougou Belinga are still in detention. Photo Camerounweb

Continuation of scandals

The new twist in the aftermath of the brutal killing of the popular radio host is the continuation of what is now seen in the public’s eye as a state scandal.

Defence lawyers have expressed their consternation at Friday’s happenings. Eko Eko’s lawyer barrister Seri Simplice Zokou told Radio France International (RFI) that they had been formally notified of the earlier decision to grant provisional liberty to their client by the Examining Magistrate at the Military Tribunal in Yaounde.

He said the document was physically handed to the defence team in the presence of at least five people and they have dispatched copy. “We are very surprised,” barrister Zokou said adding that “it will be the first time in my career to witness such a situation”. He hoped that there were going to be new developments to the case in order to the save the tainted image of the justice system of the country.

Attempted prison break

On his part, the lead counsel for the family of the killed journalist, Barrister Calvin Job described Friday’s happenings as an incomprehensible imbroglio which he qualified as “attempted prison break” orchestrated by some individuals within the regime.

He told RFI that those behind the act did without the knowledge of the justice system in the country, calling on authorities to investigate properly and know those responsible for the acts.

To the lawyer, the people the late Martinez Zogo denounced in his radio talk show programs are still at work.

“These are the same people hiding in the shadows who, since then, have been putting pressure on the magistrates, on those involved in this [judicial] procedure, to steer it in one direction or the other,” RFI quoted the lawyer.

Accused of complicity in torture,

Eko Eko and Amougou Belinga were among “several people” arrested in February in connection with the journalist’s killing following probe ordered by President Paul Biya.

Following the presidential order, a mixed commission of inquiry made up of Gendarmerie and police officers was put in place to shed light on the journalist’s gruesome killing and their findings led to the arrest of the suspects.

In March, Amougou Belinga was charged with “complicity in torture” of the journalist while Eko Eko is suspected of “having provoked in any way whatsoever the torture of Martinez Zogo or given instructions to commit it”, in the words of the Examining Magistrate.

In the course of the investigation, the intelligence chief was questioned several times on the substance of the case. In particular, he was confronted by his sole accuser, Colonel Justin Danwe, head of operations at DGRE who is also in detention, as well as several agents working within the DGRE at the time of the events.

Among the incriminating elements that interested the investigators was the holding of a meeting during which Eko Eko, Justin Danwe and several DGRE technicians allegedly listened to an audio tape attributed to Martinez Zogo, in which he allegedly made defamatory remarks about the head of the intelligence services.

In the now fake release order by the Examining Magistrate, Col Kamwo noted that Eko Eko, Danwe and the witnesses cited had assured them “that there has never been held at the DGRE with journalist Martinez Zogo as the subject”.

Outrage over Zogo’s Killing

The lifeless body of 51-year-old Zogo, in an advanced state of decomposition, was discovered on January 22, 2023, five days after he had been kidnapped by unidentified assailants. By the time of his death, the star radio host was the director of Amplitude FM, a station with a huge following in the Cameroonian capital Yaoundé.

The slain broadcaster was famous for his midmorning French talk show “Embouteillage” (traffic jam). On the air, he regularly tackled cases of corruption and alleged embezzlement of public funds, not hesitating to question important personalities by name. Amougou Belinga a reputed friend to several members of government was one of them. He had targeted Belinga on one of his shows prior to his abduction and subsequent brutal killing that has since caused outrage within and out of the country.

Shocked advocates have continued to call out violations of press freedom and freedom of speech in the country following the journalist’s gruesome murder.

In a statement then, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said the journalist had been taken to a building belonging to the business tycoon prior to his gruesome murder. The statement said the body bore signs of probable torture before he was killed.

RSF said in a recent statement that “the outcome of the investigations [remained] very uncertain as the case’s ramifications reach up to the highest level of the state while the political environment [was] described by several local sources as verging on insurrection.”

First published in NewsWatch newspaper No. 165 of Monday December 4, 2023.

Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.

Unsubscribe

Related Posts

Eleven African innovators shortlisted for FEC 2026 Innovation Challenge
News

Eleven African innovators shortlisted for FEC 2026 Innovation Challenge

August 14, 2026
All set for Archbishop of Canterbury, Sarah Mullally’s landmark Cameroon visit
News

All set for Archbishop of Canterbury, Sarah Mullally’s landmark Cameroon visit

July 27, 2026
“I want to bridge the literary gap for the young and People With Disabilities” – Comfort Mussa, author, The Shape of Unbroken Things
News

“I want to bridge the literary gap for the young and People With Disabilities” – Comfort Mussa, author, The Shape of Unbroken Things

July 28, 2026
Cameroon Starlink licensing stalls over security, sovereignty concerns
Economy

Cameroon Starlink licensing stalls over security, sovereignty concerns

July 29, 2026
Commy Mussa gets Ambassador role to champion women’s health in Cameroon
Health

Commy Mussa extends storytelling tentacles to literary world

July 14, 2026
Cameroon moves to operationalise National DDR strategy with new action plan
News

Cameroon moves to operationalise National DDR strategy with new action plan

July 8, 2026
Three Cameroonian MMA Lions ready to battle at PFL Africa debut

Three Cameroonian MMA Lions ready to battle at PFL Africa debut

June 4, 2025
Till kingdom come: Biya, 92, in for another seven-year mandate!

Till kingdom come: Biya, 92, in for another seven-year mandate!

July 15, 2025
Nalova Akua on Lake Ossa

Nalova Akua wins international award for exposing impacts of climate change

June 15, 2022
Hon Ngala Gerard donates to newly-created GTC Tabenken

Hon Ngala Gerard donates to newly-created GTC Tabenken

November 25, 2020
Climate change: Extreme weather drives surge in malaria cases in Yaounde

Climate change: Extreme weather drives surge in malaria cases in Yaounde

February 13, 2024
Mining reforms set to yield FCFA 1,000bn annually, govt says

Mining reforms set to yield FCFA 1,000bn annually, govt says

July 20, 2026
Front page of NewsWatch newspaper No 181, Tuesday, July 30, 2024.

Front page of NewsWatch newspaper No 181, Tuesday, July 30, 2024.

July 31, 2024

Ayaba Cho says Nkambe bomb target was Hon. Ngala

February 14, 2024

After adoption of action plan : Parliamentary Network for Circular Economy on aggressive industrialisation

November 25, 2020

Cameroon’s Emilios Dassi returns for title hunt as PFL Africa Season Two opens

March 11, 2026

Cameroon to reintegrate 708 ex-Boko Haram fighters into communities

December 16, 2024

At first official visit: SDF Chairman uses CPDM shortcomings to woo Bamenda population

May 2, 2024

Bamenda II DO’s abduction:Tale of truths & untruths

February 13, 2024

Fon of Nso’s Anglophone crisis book not meant to reopen wounds or stir emotions – Co-editors

June 19, 2026

J&A Oben Foundation trains, charges journalists to be nutrition ambassadors

February 24, 2021

Access Bank Cameroon strengthens strategic partnership with gov’t to support development

March 24, 2026
NewsWatch Cameroon

Trustworthy, timely and tenacious: that's our newspaper. For 10 years, we have delivered quality journalism that informs, inspires and challenges our readers. Join us as we continue to make a difference in the world of news.

#NewsWatch@10

  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

Sign Up for our News letters

NewsWatch Cameroon Anniversery

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Front-page
    • Tech
    • Politics
    • Society
    • Sports
    • Environment
    • Economy
    • Religion
  • Abouts
    • About Us
    • Our Team
    • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Newswatch Cameroon All Right Reserved.
Designed by JDC